Tuesday, August 31, 2010


Everything stopped at noon today, Monday August 30th. Mom continues to weep over the loss of her beloved niece Karen Anderson and worry about the strength of her sister Judy Fern. I can sense her bereavement but don’t know whether to lick her face or just stay on the bed.

We traveled to Chicago last Wednesday for the IndyCar Series race at Chicagoland Speedway. I managed to charm the racing world with my good behavior but Mom wasn’t too happy with me when I wouldn’t go potty at the racetrack. I do choose my places, you know?

When she discovered that Karen had died, mid-afternoon on Friday right after IndyCar qualifying, Mom was a mess. She just didn’t know what to do so after finishing her qualifying story, she started trying to get plane tickets to Atlantic City or Philadelphia. Maybe we could get to Margate City by the time of the memorial service on Monday at noon?

That wasn’t possible – none of the airlines had any seats available that could get us from Indy to either city so we were stuck in Indy, where we’ve got to work the NHRA US Nationals this coming weekend.

Mom has been devastated by this death; not even Father Phil de Rea’s counsel could cheer her up. It’s not fun to see her like this; are all humans this hurt by death? We dogs pretty much take it in stride and move on. Even when we get emotionally attached.

It’s just past that time now on Monday afternoon and Mom celebrated Karen’s life alone at Debbie’s house in Brownsburg, with only me, Hector and Sierra to keep her company. She said the Jewish prayers for the dead and cried some more. Then she kicked us out into the yard to all three of us would get out of her hair for a few minutes and do our business.

I feel very sad for Mom having lost her most favorite next-generation relative. I’ll try and find a way to cheer her up this afternoon if I possible can.

Thanks for reading this – hope you’ll say some prayers for Karen’s survivors: her mother Judy, her husband Bob, children Alex and Amy and brother Gary.

Love, a rather sad Leah

(oh, and I've included a pic of me on the pit walk before the race)

No comments:

Post a Comment